Protecting KY Families
July 16, 2019
Protecting local families is what is important to ABCO Security. Whether that be sharing safety tips or providing security services, we want your family, home and business safe as it can be. With that being said, let’s work together to stop criminals from targeting the eastern Kentucky community.
Scams to Avoid
Scams have reached an all-time high in eastern Kentucky and we are working hard to stay ahead of the daily con artists. We want to warn local families to be on alert of the following scams this Summer.
- Mailbox Scam
- Local homeowners are receiving notifications in the mail for a package to be picked up from the post office. The notification has a number to call to get the claimed mail. Your post office should not provide numbers to call. The mail services should notify you that your package is at the post office and shouldn’t have you call any numbers nor give any information.
- Student Loan Scam
- College students and local graduates are being targeted by a scammer that claims to relief loan debt. Loan services are offered free to students so they should only contact their student loan company regarding that information.
- Grandparent Scams
- Elderly Kentucky citizens have been receiving calls from scammers claiming to be their grandchildren. The phone calls are requesting money to a foreign country where the so-called grandchild has been arrested. The “I don’t want mom and dad to be upset” line is very convincing and we don’t want local seniors to be taken advantage of for their love and concern for their family.
Tips to Avoid Scams
- Be aware
- Be alert of these scams and potential scams in the future. Criminals are creating new ways to access users’ information. Stay aware and avoid giving out your information in situations that may you feel un-easy. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
- Hang up or Don’t Answer
- For calls that you don’t recognize, don’t answer. If someone is requesting money over the phone, hang up.